Last week, the Whittier parents who form the Bilingual Advisory Committee were awarded certificates for their participation in the committee for the school year of 2017-18. Dr. Acevedo and Ms. Ruth Peña from OLCE were present to award the certificates. The Whittier BAC as a group was awarded a perfect attendance certificate two weeks ago.
The Office of Language and Cultural Education’s (OLCE) goals for the BACs are to:
- Ensure the organization and training of the BAC members at the local and citywide level
- Provide technical assistance to the EL Program Teacher and existing BACs
- Empower each local BAC to ensure their participation in the education of their children
- Encourage parents to take on leadership roles within the school community and other parent committees, such as the Local School Councils
- Engage parents and families in the overall governance of bilingual education.